What is 21 Day Fix?
Who is 21 Day Fix for?
Is this Program worth it's salt?
The Pros of the workouts:
- The workouts are challenging, but not too challenging.
- There are great modifications that allow you to keep working when the moves are a bit above your level (side plank leg lift? Yea... still can't do that one :).
- The warm-up and cool-down are a part of the 30 minutes. I appreciate that because I am limited on time. I hate the programs that advertise 30 minutes, but then add a 7 min warm up and 5 min cool down.
- There is a different workout for each day of the week, so you aren't doing the same moves day in and day out.
- Autumn clearly explains and demonstrates each move, and reminds you of the little things to keep tucked and squeezed as you are doing the move (I never remember to keep my belly button pulled in...anyone else have that problem?).
- The Pilates and Yoga days offer rest (active recovery) but also a more well-rounded fitness program (they may not be calorie burners, but they focus on your core and flexibility, two very important pieces to overall fitness).
- This may not be a pro for everyone, but I like that there is workout everyday. The pilates and yoga allow for an active recovery day, but knowing there is a workout each day keeps me that mindset of daily fitness.
- It's only a 3 week program, so after 3 weeks I can decide if I want to continue or try something new without the guilt of giving up 3 weeks into a 12 week program.
- Between each move is about a 20 second rest, which is sometimes not enough, so I have to hit pause for an extra 20...or so :)
- It's only a 3 week program (uh Megan...didn't you list that a pro?) Yes, but some people want a longer program than 3 weeks.
- It promises big results (up to 15 pounds in 21 Days) which is possible, but not realistic...I think I see 5-8 pound loss's more often.
- It costs money...WHAT?!? Yes you do have to pay for the program (but in my opinion your return on investment is well worth the cost).
The Pros of the nutrition plan:
- No calorie counting.
- Ensures you eat a balance diet.
- Based on clean eating principles.
- Once you get the hang of it, meals are simple and easy.
- You still get to eat real food, food your family will enjoy too.
- There is a lot of variety in the food choices.
- At first, it's not easy to master the container system.
- Sometimes there seems to be some gray area with standard "clean" recipes and some small ingredients.
What I didn't expect to get out of the program
Yes those things happened for me as expected, but what I didn't expect was to learn how much food has affected my life all these years, or to fall in love with working out. Yes I know that my very poor nutrition and inconsistent fitness have been keeping the weight on all these years, but I didn't know the positive effects real food and daily fitness have on your body. I am talking beyond weight loss.
I sleep better.
I feel better physically.
I feel better emotionally.
I feel better mentally.
I have more energy everyday.
I don't feel lethargic day to day.
I am more positive and optimistic.
I am happier.
I learned how addicting processed foods can be. I have always wondered how people can just turn down certain foods, like ice cream, cake, chips, french fries, oreos, etc. Well I guess I still don't know how some people seems to do it so naturally, because some days it is still very hard for m.e. But I am learning that as you start to eat foods that make you feel good, inside and out, real natural foods, you stop wanting the foods that are just a quick high. Those foods that leave you feeling worse and leave you wanting. I thought those foods were comforting me, when really there were just a drug. The only thing they did was make me crave them more, nothing else, yet somehow they convinced me for so many years that they would make any emotion better.
I learned that I wasn't even close to a eating balanced diet, but following the 21 Day Fix Meal plan has really helped change that. It has helped me learn how to eat better, what are good choices to eat, and how to make clean eating easy and delicious! Not only that, but eating real foods fill me up so much more than any processed food ever did. I eat less now, not because I am restricting my calories, but because I am full!
Working out everyday helped me learn the value of daily fitness. I feel SO much better after my morning workout and on days I miss it, I can tell, and I feel worse! Even missing the yoga day makes me ache for my workouts! I was never like that before this program but 21 Day Fix has made me fall in love with fitness! Now I make sure I can fit my workout into my schedule everyday!
The Final Verdict
But wait...there is another version! 21 Day Fix Extreme!
I will do a review on this program later, but for now, here is a quick rundown of the two programs.